Black Beauty Peony
- 1 per package
- Save 49%
Availability: In Stock
We ship this item in Spring.
LightSun to Part Shade
Size2-3 eye division
Zone3 to 8
Bloom TimeLate Spring to Early Summer
Soil RequirementWell drained
We'll carefully pack and ship your order at the proper planting time for your hardiness zone.
Item 96938 cannot ship to: AE AK GU HI PR
Goes Great With
Huge, Dark Blooms!
A striking colour for a classic perennial. Nearly black, 6-7" flowers make a dramatic appearance in late spring to early summer. Garden visitors as well as butterflies and hummingbirds, will love the fragrant, fully double blooms that sit atop 36-48" dark stems. The glossy, green foliage is very ornamental and provides a colour show in the spring when new growth is copper-burgundy and when the leaves turn soft yellow in the fall. Paeonia.
- Botanical NamePaeonia lactiflora 'Black Beauty'
- Hardiness Zone3 to 8
- Flowering TimeMidseason (mid to late spring)
- Light RequirementsFull Sun, Partial Shade
- Flower ColorVery deep red
- Flower Form7" fully double flowers
- Foliage TypeGlossy, deep green leaves. Very ornamental through-out the growing season. The new growth in spring is a copper-burgundy and turns a soft yellow in the fall.
- Growth RateMedium;Slow
- Spread30 - 36 inches
- Planting InstructionsDig a hole large enough to spread out roots without bending them. Set crown with buds just below the soil. Water in thoroughly. Plant at least 6 weeks before ground freezes.
- Soil RequirementsWell drained
- Will TolerateAcidic Soil, Clay Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- PruningRemove spent flower stems after flowering to maintain an attractive bush type perennial all summer long.
Upon placing your order you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate. You will also receive an email notification when your order actually ships with an updated arrival estimate. If you have ordered multiple items, you may receive them in more than one shipment. We will send you a separate email confirming each shipment.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or your area may affect the anticipated shipping schedule below.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible in the planting season to allow for the best root development once planted.
To promote optimum stress protection in transit and your success in the garden, bareroot perennials are kept in the ground in our nurseries until fully dormant. In the Fall these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window above.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to delivery your orders via the USPS or FedEx. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bulb and perennial shipments direct from Holland are harvested in July and August dependent on the season and crop. Once fully inspected and packaged they are shipped direct to you in the most efficient manner to follow the dates above.
Garden hardgoods and Gift Certificates ship with in 4-7 day.
We will pack and ship your order based on the following schedule.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.
Bareroot Perennials & Bulbs
Zones Shipping Dates 1AB - 5A 3/19/18 - 6/16/18 5B 2/26/18 - 6/16/18 6A & 10AB 2/19/18 - 6/16/18 Last Order Date 6/11/2018
Shipping & Handling Charges
Total Order Add Up to $40.00 order $9.95 $40.01 to $60.00 $12.95 $60.01 to $80.00 $14.95 $80.01 to $100.00 $16.95 $100.01 to over $18.95