Bee Balm Collection
- 10 per package
- Save 55%
Availability: In Stock
We ship this item in Spring.
LightSun to Part Shade
Zone4 to 9
Bloom TimeMidsummer to Early fall
Height28 to 45" tall
Soil RequirementWell drained
We'll carefully pack and ship your order at the proper planting time for your hardiness zone.
Item 63782 cannot ship to: AE AK GU HI PR
Goes Great With
DescriptionAmerica's Most Useful Perennial
This old-fashioned flower is much more than just a pretty face. For those who grow and love it, it can be a cut flower, home cure and even a tasty tea. Bee balm, or Monarda, has been a staple of American gardens for centuries, and now you can add a rainbow of bee balm blooms to your borders and beds.
These native species will feel right at home in your garden
Each variety in our new Bee Balm Collection was bred from native North American species and is winter hardy in zones 4-9. A member of the mint family, bee balm produces fragrant, spicy foliage that deer and rabbits detest but local pollinators can't resist. From midsummer to early fall, colourful, crown-shaped flowers will attract beneficial bees, but that's not all. Beautiful butterflies and hummingbirds will also become frequent visitors to your bee balm blooms, so be sure to plant them (in sun or part shade) somewhere you can enjoy the view.
From Native Cure to New World 'Cuppa'
Part herb, part ornamental beauty, bee balm was revered by the American Indians for its healing properties. But it wasn't until the late 18th century that the European colonists began their love affair with this versatile plant. After the Boston Tea Party, patriots began to embrace bee balm as a replacement for imported Chinese tea. Soon bee balm tea was one of the most popular drinks in colonial homes, and bee balm blooms were plentiful in their gardens.
Besides garden beauty, here are just a few of the many more uses for Bee Balm:
• Bee balm tea—just boil and steep a few dried leaves.
• Edible, slightly spicy bee balm flowers can be used in salads or as pastry toppings.
• Fragrant oils released from crushed bee balm leaves act as a natural mosquito repellent.
• Antimicrobial properties make bee balm a key ingredient in home remedies for colds, sore throats and more.
• Strained and cooled water from boiled bee balm can soothe a sunburn, rash or insect bite.
This collection includes 2 each of the following varieties:
• Snow White : 28-32" tall
• Beauty of Cobham : 28-32" tall
• Garden View Scarlet : 40-45" tall
• Prairie Night : 28-32" tall
• Mohawk : 35-45" tall
- Botanical NameMonarda
- Hardiness Zone4 to 9
- Flowering TimeMidsummer to early fall
- Light RequirementsFull Sun, Partial Shade
- Flower ColorBright, brilliant red
- Flower Form3" crown-shaped flowers
- Foliage TypeGreen, ovate to lanceolate 3-6" long leaves.
- Growth RateFast
- Height/Habit28 to 45" tall
- Spread30 inches
- Planting InstructionsSoak roots for about half an hour before planting. Loosen soil well. Plant with the eyes just below the soil. Water well after planting.
- Soil RequirementsWell drained
- Will TolerateAcidic Soil, Clay Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- PruningCut back spent blooms to encourage additional blooming.
Upon placing your order you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate. You will also receive an email notification when your order actually ships with an updated arrival estimate. If you have ordered multiple items, you may receive them in more than one shipment. We will send you a separate email confirming each shipment.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or your area may affect the anticipated shipping schedule below.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible in the planting season to allow for the best root development once planted.
To promote optimum stress protection in transit and your success in the garden, bareroot perennials are kept in the ground in our nurseries until fully dormant. In the Fall these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window above.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to delivery your orders via the USPS or FedEx. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bulb and perennial shipments direct from Holland are harvested in July and August dependent on the season and crop. Once fully inspected and packaged they are shipped direct to you in the most efficient manner to follow the dates above.
Garden hardgoods and Gift Certificates ship with in 4-7 day.
We will pack and ship your order based on the following schedule.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.
Bareroot Perennials & Bulbs
Zones Shipping Dates 1AB - 5A 3/19/18 - 6/16/18 5B 2/26/18 - 6/16/18 6A & 10AB 2/19/18 - 6/16/18 Last Order Date 6/11/2018
Shipping & Handling Charges
Total Order Add Up to $40.00 order $9.95 $40.01 to $60.00 $12.95 $60.01 to $80.00 $14.95 $80.01 to $100.00 $16.95 $100.01 to over $18.95